3D LabGang SlingBlade

Home Forum 3DLabGANG projects SlingBlade 3D LabGang SlingBlade

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Donald Wright 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    martingough
    Participant

Making a start on the SlingBlade will post some picture when Im up and running.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Avatar martingough.
    randy.mcelroy
    Participant

Printing right now.

martingough
    Participant

Let me know how your getting on.
    Martin.

Donald Wright

Hey, Guys – I’ll be very interested to know how the project goes for you. Please return and share your thoughts and some pictures.

All the best, Don

snakn1
    Participant

Thank for opening up this post.
    has anyone figured out the top end of the weight? I am running a little heavy, but the prints are too good to toss. The first print the AIL 1 was 1 gram heavy and the AIL 2 was 1.5 grams over. I will be using e flite 480 or maybe a GT10 I have both in my box of spares. so I will have the power to do anything. I running a .5 nozzle I first was at a .48 width and 102% extrusion, but I dropped the setting for the wings and fuse down to 96% and a .43 width I started the fuse with the new settings and had a power issue when my wife used the vacuum to clean out her car (same power circuit), so it failed, but the outer wall size was down to .46 from .54 (the first settings), so I restarted them. I will see how they turn out.

Donald Wright

Hey, Snakn 1, The 0.5 nozzle is going to add some weight to the bird, but the weights that you listed should not be a deal killer. The good thing about printing your own birds is that you can try again if it doesn’t work out. Of course a printed plane weighs a bit more than foam or built up – about a meter in wingspan is the minimum in order to cross the threshold of wing loading. The Slingblade is a bit heavier – but that translates into being able to penetrate well. The downside is that having some wind to launch into is a real good suggestion – it’s all about airspeed when hand launching. Once you get in the air – it’s all about power – you want about 140-150 watts (per pound) on a bird like this and you’ll have no problem moving out. Watch the videos and read the primer in the instructions on launching. Good luck and let us know what your bird looks like, how the maiden went and what you want to do next time. Good Luck!

All the best, Don

snakn1
    Participant

Thanks. FYI I just printed the Fuse aft left and it was only 1 gram over so I am happy about that. I have it set at .25 laver, .43 width and 100%, speed is 70. right now I am printing from my leftover spools and will give this first bird away to a club member’s kid as a winter project. I will then print the finel bird on some good pla+ filament. for mine.. I was reading about the file for the raide. the directions said it was included, but I did not see it, can you provide it for us please. I will attached the photos when done. FYI thanks for the advice (on the other post) on the wing # 4. I too had that issue. on the test piece I just used CA to fix the issue. but I will adjust the factory file as you suggest for the final print.

Brad.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Avatar snakn1.
    • This reply was modified 9 months ago by Avatar snakn1.
    Donald Wright

Hey, Brad – I don’t understand, ” I was reading about the file for the raide.” Must be a typo that I can’t figure out.

Also – print speed of 70mm/s is a bit fast IMO. Make sure you are getting good layer bonding at those speeds and good print accuracy – thanks for the feedback.

All the best, Don

snakn1
    Participant

As far as the speed, it is fine. I an getting good prints, I have tested a few prints and the are breaking apart across all the layers. not on the layer lines.
    As far as the file. yes it was a typo, my wireless keybd has a mind of it’s own sometimes. See below from the manual:

Spektrum File – If you are using Spektrum equipment and the Lemon Plus RX, the included .SPM fles will get you a long way toward finalizing your setup.

This is the file I wish you to share.

Donald Wright

Hey, Brad – good catch, it’s nice to see that someone actually reads the instructions. They take a lot of time to compile –

Attached is the file and I’ll also create a thread that makes it available.

All the best, Don

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    snakn1
    Participant

I have learned (the hard way) to read the directions many times there is a lot of good ideas in yours, I thank you for the tips and suggestions.
    attached is a the Right Rear Fuse… If you want all of them let me know I think I have the whole wing saved.

Attachments:
    Donald Wright

Hey, Brad – thanks for the print video. It’s still a unique idea of being able to share digital information and have other be able to make exact copies of the original design – I’m fascinated every time.

Feel free to load any videos here to share your work. I have a few of this process connected to the instructions as it is.

All the best, Don

mi_go
    Participant

I’ve been trying to get my easymax flying well, soon as I do I am going to give this plane a go. Do you have any ideas for FPV cameras in the nose or anything like that?

Mike

kpmerrill
    Participant

Decided to try the SlingBlade as my first 3D printed plane. I used color PLA for daytime flying. Experimenting with wing tip and wing lights for night flying. I’m gluing the plane together while I wait for the rest of the parts!

Attachments:
    kpmerrill
    Participant

My Sling Blade parts!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar kpmerrill.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar kpmerrill.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.