Building the Spitfire

Home Forum Your planes Supermarine Spitfire MkIX Building the Spitfire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So, just started printing the parts. Glued together the cover and played with it a bit. Trying to get a proper finish on the plastic. So far I am not happy with the filer I am using. Wet sanded it with 1000 sandpaper which is pretty fine, got it smooth but will try another more “filling” product from a local car shop. Hope properly finishing and priming the plane doesn’t add too much weight.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Fuse coming up nicely ๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments:
    Participant

Nice, clean print. What printer You use?

Participant

The original Prusa MK2. Pre-ordered the MK3, but don’t expect it to be very soon, hopefully will run the F4U on it ๐Ÿ™‚

Fuse is ready, rudder and the vertical stab are just for the photo, haven’t glued them yet.

Attachments:
    Participant

Hello

Your build is coming along nicely, did you get the .STL file for the Landing Gear doors ?
    Let me know how your new Prusa works out as I might give one a try, I have a RepRap I built a few years ago and itโ€™s done great work but this Thin Wall printing is testing itโ€™s ability.
    I have my Spitfire all printed and assembled just fitting out the electrics, still not decided on a motor yet.
    My flying skills are not great so I will be asking one of the guys at the RC to test it out, I just love to build.
    Good luck

Participant

Oh boy I haven’t been updating this one for some time. So the plane is completed, all electronics are here. Did a lot of work to prepare it for the paintjob and I think it comes nicely. I am almost done with the paint job too, just the wing markings and some weathering to complete the plane. Definitelly looking forward to flying it soon. Here are some pics.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Avatarpandjarov.
    Participant

I’ve tried to get the Gear doors to fit. so I cut holes to feed zip ties through the front and out of the strut arms. to stop the gear door sliding around the strut
    I put a small O ring on the strut this helps prevent the door from moving…. well hopefully

Participant

I didnโ€™t even print them, lost the file somewhere. They wonโ€™t work well with the chinese retracts anyway since they are sooo wobbly

Attachments:
    thomaskreuzbergerthomaskreuzberger
    Participant

Awesome build man!
    I’m also printing this beauty right now.

Which components did you choose to install?

Participant

A bit of a custom setup:

Varioprop with adjustable angle of attack of the blades
    SK3 5055 motor: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-5055-430kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html
    HobbyKing YEP 80A: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-80a-2-6s-sbec-brushless-speed-controller.html

apocalypsedudeapocalypsedude
    Participant

Awsome! What prop diameter do you use?
    For mine I’m just printig the last few parts and I have the same motor and ESC. Wondering how many amps it will draw with the recommended 15×8 3-blade prop.

thomaskreuzbergerthomaskreuzberger
    Participant

great! thats also the setup I plan to go for. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Looking forward to your maiden flight report.

Tom

Participant

Evren from rcgroups made for my prop a scale spinner.

Attachments:
    Participant

A bit of weathering and a lot of Christmas mood ๐Ÿ™‚

Merry Christmas

Participant

OK, mine is ready for take off ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.