C.U Wave Cruiser Q & A

Home Forum 3DLabGANG projects C.U. Wave Cruiser C.U Wave Cruiser Q & A

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 206 total)
  • Author

I’m happy to try to help. Nice to see so many people building my design. Thanks to you all.

santaniellogsantaniellog
    Participant

Greetings,
    I am looking for recommendations for the propeller fixation as none was delivered with my motor (Dynamite 2300kv 14-pole Brushless Outrunner Marine Motor DYNM3952) the shaft is 5mm, not knowing how this all assembles I am not sure what to purchase.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Gary

Hello Gary,

I suggest you buy a normal propeller fixation as used for airplanes that fit your 5mm shaft. Then tell me the outer diameter where the propeller normally is mounted and if necessary I will provide a shaft connector that will fit. The turningy motor that’s mentioned in the user guide comes with a propeller mount with 8mm for the propeller. If you find a mount for 5mm motor shaft and for 8mm propeller hole it should work.

Turningy prop mount

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

I’m just a little concerned about the 2300kv motor. As the propellers are large, it might be a problem with heat. The motor recommended has 430kv.

Participant

Ulf,
    I’m still seeing the issue of the internal ribs of some of the Cruiser parts not contacting the outside I just checked in S3d and I can clearly see in the 3d rendering of the preview that there is a generated gap in the g-code.

I’m kinda at a loss – the printer accurately prints this gap perfectly. I guess I could up the extrusion multiplier but that just means i will be printing out of spec – when i turned up extrusion i had some fitment problems in the past.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

I have however gotten the vast majority of the boat assembled and it looks great! Just need some 4mm bullet connectors and a coat of XTC-3D to get it in the water.

Oh and I have a minor failure printing flexible filament… I will need to play with that more 🙂

Thanks for your time as always Ulf!

Mike

I can modify the gap, wich parts do you need modified?

Participant

I think it is fine – I will look at the STL and see if they have a gap, but i have everything together and epoxied to it is water tight. Tested it in the bathtub and no leaks. All I need to do is get my daughter to finish painting the little driver figures she designed in Tinkercad so i can glue them on.

I’m building it for my dad, he was diagnosed with cancer, and they had to sell their boat, which they named after my daughter. I have some vinyl stickers coming with the boat name printed, along with the drivers (Which are the family members) it should make a nice present for him.

Mike

Hello Mike,
    Too bad about your father, I wish him all the best.
    Greetings
    Ulf

Participant

I’ll let you know how it works out – going down there this weekend to try it out. 🙂

Mike

Participant

So we ran the boat last week, overall it went pretty well.

It was a little slower than I thought it might be – every time the boat would start to plane up, the nose would drop back into the water again, so it could not continue accelerating. We were running 3S lipo batteries with the recommended motor and ESC.

To try to get a little more speed, we ran two 3s Lipo batteries in series – we put it in the canal, and my Dad went to full throttle. I think with that setup the RPM’s get close to about 11,000. Suffice it to say, the prop blades blew right off the hub, was obviously too much power.

Since I brought spares I managed to replace the propellers and get it back in the water. However, we noticed after some more running we must have hit something in the canal, there was a hole in the front of the hull. A little clear packing tape took care of that.

overall had a lot of fun running the boat – made my dad happy, spent a good afternoon running it in the canal behind their house.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Looks like you have the center of gravity too much forward. Where do you put the battery? I once put the battery in front of the motor and had trouble to get it to plane. In the user guide you see my battery is on one side beside the shaft. I propose to try a more rearward c.o.g. Anyway, your boat looks great. Thanks for sharing the video.
    Greetings Ulf

Participant

We had the battery in the back, but i had pretty light battery’s from my planes, so that might have had something to do with it. Also, we had the little printed people on the front, so that probably contributed to it as well.

We had a good time, thanks for creating it!
    Mike

santaniellogsantaniellog
    Participant

So frustrated with this build, one step forward and one step back, now having issues with the motor shaft.
    I had to re-print the entire drivetrain as the PLA parts were breaking so I printed with Polycarbonate (Polymaker PC-Lite) and even though stronger the propellers are still fragile, I doubt they will survive the maiden, should I get that far.
    I have assembled the drive train and when I run up the motor the rear propeller slides backwards coming disengaged from the prop gear, what am I doing wrong?

Gary

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.