Consoldated PBY Catalina Q&A

Home Forum 3DLabGANG projects Consolidated PBY Catalina Consoldated PBY Catalina Q&A

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Participant

hi, I have the video and images from trials – seems very functional – https://youtu.be/qPxo6MkZOmY?t=1m54s as soon as the fuse comes out on the rails, it blocks the water spray. I think the rails would have to be all the way to the front, as the water sprays from the nose section. 5mm is enough on the rails. you could probably test it with garden water hose blowing the water from downside. https://i.imgur.com/kenr5mL.png .
    I’ve been able to touch and go on the speed with no issues; soft landing is possible only with pull-up attitude, but works ok.
    evening

Participant

Hello
    This is my first post here, so please be kind!
    Where are the stl’s for this Catalina?

On another note, years ago I designed retractable gear and floats for a Catalina, but only half built a prototype. The design used a geared lead screw to retract the wheels into the hull. Waterproofing was achieved by having the lead screw mechanism well above water, with the pivots waterproofed into the hull. The tip floats were were locked down by springs and over centre locks on the braces, and retracted by cables. It worked well on the bench.
    (I never actually built it into a plane….)

Participant

Results are ok, I will prolong them to the front, as a little water still comes from the front, else it works great.
    take a look on F1, make a tunnel for the velcro strap, its next to imposible to put it through after the fuse is glued.
    the frontal section of wing pylon tends to print with gaps, add some light supports
    I am having issues with glueing the servos in F2, bad access for the glue gun, crashed it already once due to unproper glueing. And I have tested your safety buoyancy you referred earlier 🙂 worked well. after the elevator servo went loose i had only 10% elevator authority and crashed it upside down.
    How is the work going on the ground geared fuselage?

Participant

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the nice design. However I noticed there appears be to errors in some of the parts that is included in the package. I have cross checked the gcode, stl and factory files and the results are the same. Attached please find the snapshot taken after parsing the gcode from the downloaded package for Catalina 1.7 Fuselage 6+7.gcode. Some of the supports inside the model appears to be missing for Fuselage 6. Similar issue also appears in fuselage in which appears to slicing behavior is a little bit erratic. I have also sliced the same stl files with S3D 4.0 and the result are very similar. By no means a few missing supports will render the print unprintable but it does seems to weaken the structure. It would be great if you could take a look at this issue. Thank you!

Best,
    Eric

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Hello Martin,
    My first post.
    I am finished with two Catalinas; one in PLA and one in PETG.
    Both went out quite well, but I liked PETG best.
    There was some holes, and it seems to be underextrudet.
    I am now starting my hull no.3
    I changed extruder settings to auto, and multiplier of 1,20
    Fuselage 1 went out very good with this settings. The weight was spot on.
    I have done some modification, see attachment.
    I was having trouble with the pushrods for elev/rudder/access to the servos.
    So I made a servo tray and mounted some MG servos.
    Maiden is yet to come. Too much wind in Norway at the moment.
    regards
    Ragnar

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

j-r-mel great idea I hope it will be implemented in next version. at least if some water gets in it doesnt splash on the rx.

Participant

Good morning everyone, I bought the Catiline files, I should start with the press, but I am a big doubt !!!!!, possible that you all print in PLT !, without having any problem of deformation on the models ?, not would it be better to print them in PETG?

Participant

Hi Pino,

I think there are already ppl who printed this model with PETG

Eric

Participant

Pino: printed it with PLA with no issues, ok, you have to be careful on the sun, PETG would be more stable, but could be weighting more.

MK:
    – Please redesign the floats, they need to be a little higher, i guess 2 cm would be sufficient – redesign the tip of the wing.
    – Spray rails are tested and works great – extended way to the front.

Participant

hi, closeup of the rails, tested and works great rails , video from the test taxi test

Participant

Hi,I will try spray rails.
    I tried a maiden flight yesterday. It ended up with fire in stbd motor nacelle, just after takeoff.
    This happened after some taxi trials, too much water sprayed into the motor/ubec.

I have printed two catalinas in PETG now. I am satifsfied with the resultsfor the fuselage.
    I get to much warping on the wings. Using 240/90 degreeC.
    Glue stick on bed.
    Any good ideas ?

The weight for PETG is 10- 15 % less than the manual
    Ragnar

Participant

I think in general PETG has lower adhesion strength when compared to PLA even though they are less brittle:

Excellent adhesion of PETG can be achieved by printing directly on glass (borosilicate, soda lime) or on PEI sheet. Be warned though it can stick too well that damage the surface during removal.

Participant

I don’t have any idea about petg, got references about ASA material, should be more temp stable than PLA. Have a look on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnl5p8UQrzs – it’s just throttle – no elevator. the rails are really efective. I found that it is really useful to raise floats immediately after short speed gain while still on the water but when you already do have some aileron authority. You may have experience skid if you hit the water with the float, its kind of dangerous, you may break the float. I am thinking about j-r-mel mod – i definitively need a bigger servo on elevator, as even mini servo with metal gears is not strong enough to fight all the friction in the line. The flight is then wavy .. landing definitively without floats out, as you begin to lose speed on the water, extend them … it just more safe and nice landings. Do you anybody have contact on Martin K. He is not reacting here ..

Participant

I tried printing other models with ASA already and I do not recommend it. Despite its temperature and UV resistance, it has very weak bonding layer-to-layer adhesion. You may also try with HIPS or crystal clear PLA. Both have better temperature resistance than PLA and relatively easy to print.

I hope Martin does not abandon this project……

Participant

I am thinking of buy this model, but I will wait until the creator adds the mods for the rails in to the printed design. I have had other water planes (balsa), the the rails are needed. are there any planed to create a land based version also or removable landing gear? I love the design and the look, but there are times a good body of water is hard to find. But when I do pull the trigger and but this, I can at least use it as a “snow plane”……. I live in the midwest of the USA.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.