Cura doesn't always slice internal geometry

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support Cura doesn't always slice internal geometry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have an interesting problem when using cura 2.6 (latest version).

It seems like it might be seeing some kind of level of detail issue. If I load a wing piece as an example, and go to layer view, it will show that it is going to print the internal structure geometry. However, if I add one or more additional STL files to my build plate in the software, at some point it stops doing anything for the internal structure geometry. My layer view will show only the outer surfaces.

I also have the older lolzbot build of cura running on my computer. I think it is version 21.xx. I don’t have that issue in that version of cura, it’s only in 2.6.

If anyone had any suggestions, send then my way. It almost seems like when you get enough geometry in the model, the smaller features get ignored and you only get the outer skin. I’ve seen it with fuselage pieces, wing pieces, alerons & elevators so far.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Avatarmgarety. Reason: Fix autocorrect issues
    Participant

Here is an example. The fist pictures shows the layer view with one wing piece in the software. You can clearly see the internal geometry showing up.

The second picture shows two wing sections in there, and all of a sudden the internal structure geometry goes away, and you are just left with the external shell (and the servo wire tube in this specific case).

I didn’t change any settings in between the two pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Cura has a option for merge meshes overlap. I set it to zero and it fixed the problem for me. I have not upgraded to 2.6 yet, so this may or may not work for you.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by AvatarDennis Cabell.
    Participant

I am having the same problem as mgarety, and I tried the merge meshes overlap method and it did not work are there any other ways to solve this problem

Participant

I got the same thing trying 2.5 and 2.61…have outer skin but no internals. Wish I could figure out how to get 2.61 to work properly because I’m having issues with holes in the internal structures with 15.04.

Participant

The new cura-engine that comes with the lates repetier host ver 2.01 seems to work fine slicing multi objecs

Attachments:
    Participant

Cura engine in repitier is doing the same thing for me. The picture attached is from their G-code preview.

Attachments:

Do we have a answer for this problem

Participant

Im Having The Same Exact problem ,,Printed Just the Wing Tips And One Is fine While The Other Is All Hollow Without The Reinforcements Printed ,,Need A Solutoin to This Problem

Participant

Guys This Is The Setting That Fixed Mine Take Out Check Mark From Union Overlapping

Attachments:
    Participant

I just discovered this issue too. Tried printing both the cockpit and tail sections of the fuselage for my Me109. When they’re printed together, the only internal structure that prints is the tail. In layer view, the cockpit won’t start printing the internals until the tail section is finished. Looking in to the settings now to see what might be causing that.

Participant

I have a part 2 to this problem – a little discovery for my case. Whatever object is placed down first, that part loses its internal geometry once the second part is added. Strangely enough, I’ve never had this problem before (at least when trying to print the wings) so it kind of baffles me. Toying with some settings to see. Will report back.

Participant

Been having the same problem – I had same issue with 2.4, now on 2.61 and still have same issue.
    Tried the two methods mentioned
    1) Merge Meshes Overlap set to Zero – this appears to have worked for me – will try and print something with this setting tomorrow.
    2) Union Overlapping Volumes was already ‘un-checked’ so this hasn’t worked for me.

Participant

just tried to fix this problem and have succeeded, I tried having union overlapping volumes off and merged meshes overlap set to zero at the same time and it worked.

Participant

Here is what I had with my EASYMAX L1 L2 L3 L4 wing sections. You notice one section doesn’t loose the internal ribs until I check “Remove all holes”. The other section don’t regain their ribs until both the “Union overlapping Volumes” is unchecked AND the “Merged Meshes Overlap” is set to 0, as was pointed out earlier. My query is, why are the sections note all reacting to slicing uniformly? What is different between them? I know you can’t netfabb them even though there have errors.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.