FRUSTRATED

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support FRUSTRATED

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar waydaminute 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    waydaminute
    Participant

I am soooooo FRUSTRATED!!! Not because I wasted 4 days trying to figure out print settings, not because I wasted half a roll of filament trying to get this Thunderbolt to print correctly, not because I’ve spent hours on the forum scrounging for answers, but because I was so excited to do this project. Persevering through the learning curve and after the first to parts are printed…. They don’t freaking line up!!! WTF??? REALLY? Are the parts intended to have a gap between them?? I’m not an engineering major but that may have an adverse impact on the integrity of the joint seeing as how its only held together with CA glue! Geez… at least I’m only out 20 bucks.

These are two fuse parts that are supposed to mate… see the top on one part is round and the other part is pointy… after inspection its even like that in the slicer prior to printing.

Can somebody recommend a plane that actually prints as intended?

Anybody know how to get a refund?

Buyer Beware…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    waydaminute
    Participant

The pointy side close up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    mayk.goettke
    Participant

I am wondering why no other have this Problem? Your sure that you didn´t miss a part? I have a few planes from 3DLab and didn´t has problems like that. If its help you can send me some of this files and I will have a look what happen.

martin.hammond
    Participant

There is supposed to be a gap between part 1 and part 2, it is shown in the pdf like that and the full size is designed thus.
    The CA joint is more than strong enough.

waydaminute
    Participant

My apologies to the maker(s) of this model. It prints as intended and according to tech support it should in fact have a gap between parts one and two of the fuselage. Would be nice to mention that somewhere in the manual though as everyone is not a purist. I love to fly r/c airplanes but know nothing of aircraft history.

The problem is my parts are coming out rather fragile and I’m skeptical that part 1 and part 2 is going to hold together with such a large gap. The only way I know to make the parts more durable is to add a wall, but as soon as i do that i come in way too heavy.

I’m still experimenting and looking for a working Cura profile…

waydaminute
    Participant

For clarification: you’re correct, the manual DOES show that part one has a flared top however, there is no indication that part one and part two will NOT totally line up, having a gap between the upper regions of the parts.

waydaminute
    Participant

Finally! im able to get good prints… ill post the cura 4.0 settings that worked for me if anybodys interested.

OK, so apparently simplify 3d does something special to the joining edges to aid in assembly. How can somebody line up the parts who printed with cura? I would need like 8 hands because the parts are so thin they wont stay in alignment to glue..

Any suggestions?

waydaminute
    Participant

i spoke too soon 🙁

tail printed well because its more narrow other wide parts still have holes and lines

has anybody glued together parts sliced with cura with no extra layers for the first 4 to 5 mm?

waydaminute
    Participant

cura sliced parts are extremely difficult to line up with no extra layers

and of course they dont tell you this up front

any help?? other than buy $150 simplfy 3d to print a $20 plane

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.