Improved thread insert

Home Forum 3DLabGANG projects Water Rocket Launch System Improved thread insert

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I found that the original “Threaded Insert Walmart” had some errors that would make slicing problematic, and I was not able to make at decent print of that STL. I modelled a new one in Autodesk Fusion 360, following the standard PCO 1881 that fits most soft drink bottles in Denmark an I guess in most parts of the world. This part can be printed with nice results. My settings were 0.1 mm layer height, 0.4 mm nozzle.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by Avatarhein0170.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hey, Hein0170 – Considering this complicated world, I’ve often said, “We don’t know just how much we don’t know”, and this is certainly a case for that. I wondered if there was a standard for bottle threads, but dismissed it thinking that manufacturers would have proprietary and/or even patented designs. Silly me.

The PCO 1881 does indeed look exactly like threads on the bottles that I was working to emulate. Mine works (for me, too early to hear of others with problems) but there’s no doubt that it could be better. My design allowed for other inserts in case there were different threads, manufacturers, etc. And I was hoping that when those issues surfaced, others might step up and help with solutions – so thanks for taking this project on!

It looks like 3DLabPrint’s forum does not allow for STL sharing, and I’m sure we can guess why. If you would, please send your STL to athinkingmandotcom@gmail.com and I’ll get it vetted and posted. I use Fusion 360 too and would love to see the file to see how you arranged your sketches if you’re willing to share it. I’ve been in CAD/CAM most of my life – but 2D, so much of this is new to me.

All the best, Don

Hey, Hein – I see that you found a workaround on uploading. I’m trying the file now and will follow up shortly.

All the best, Don

Participant

Hi Don

I just want to follow up on this. I made a video on how to easy make a thread that will fit the bottle, and print very nice too. The one in the video is actually better than the one I have provided, so I will upload a new one. Meanwhile you can see my video here.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Avatarhein0170.

Hey, Hein – I just watched your video – extruding a circle to modify the triangular shape of the threads was what I was missing in my design. Please upload your design and I will get it into the kit. Thanks much!

All the best, Don

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.