Insulated bags?

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support RC equipment Insulated bags?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey peeps…thought I would run this idea by the group and see what you thought. My planes are fine once they get to the field, but sometimes I have issues with the heat in my car during transportation. As a result I’ve been looking high and low for a suitable PLA substitute to print the planes in…but the thought occurred to me…rather than going for some exotic material, why not just try to find a way to protect the planes from the heat during transportation? I remembered seeing wing bags that were insulated a long time ago. Would an insulated bag keep the parts cool enough to not warp in the back of my car? Thoughts please.

Participant

Well I finally got around to testing the idea. I made a small insulated bag using Reflectix roofing insulation. I placed a wing part in the bag, taped it shut with duct tape, and put it in the back seat of my car where the sun beats directly down on the bag. I left it in the car for an hour from 11:30 to 12:30 then checked on it. The heat and sunlight had weakened the duct tape adhesive but the part was intact with only a very minor wing sag in the skin. I believe this is mostly due to the flap loosening up and letting some heat in. I re-taped it shut and this time put it back in the car with the flap facing down for 2 more hours. No further warping occurred. Considering I really only need it to protect the planes for about 10 to 20 minutes I think this will resolve my warping issues without having to resort to a different filament! Time to make some full sized bags for the wings and fuselages of the planes I currently have printed. I will continue to try new materials but now it isn’t so urgent to find a solution.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.