Longer wingspan, 4s support

Home Forum 3DLabGANG projects Kaier Falcon Longer wingspan, 4s support

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by minhzc minhzc 1 year ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    al1
    Participant

This is a call to the developer,

I bought your plane, printing it now. Loving it. I’m a 3D designer myself and I took a look at the STL files. It would be a piece of cake to make the front bay wider to accommodate a 4s 2200. This would also mean extending the tail boom for counterbalance of course. Also wingspan can be easily extended to 1600 by just adding a few segments either at the wing root or tip. Can I maybe interest you in this upgrade? It would surely make the plane more attractive. 3D printed planes are notorious for being heavy and in order to justify the weight, you need efficiency in a form of a bigger span. Give it a thought. I’m willing to help as much as I can with this endeavor.

al1
    Participant

Really? No response whatsoever? I’m surprised.

minhzc
    minhzc

Hi Al,
    Im sorry the website does not send notification when a topic is posted so I did not know about it.
    As I said in the email sent to you, I will have a modification to make the build easier and lighter but not extending the wing span.
    If you want to make a modification by your self, I will support you by giving the technical drawing of the wing.

Thank you.

al1
    Participant

Thanks for the response, buddy

What is the reason for not going with larger wingspan? I’m just trying to understand the logic, you probably know your plane better than me.

As for improvements, here are my thoughts so far

1. Towards the root, the wing doesn’t need to be split for printing. Parts 1 and 2 combined with part 5 can be made into two pieces instead of three and still fit on most printers.

2. All wing segments can be made slightly taller, thus reducing the wing parts count from 4 to 3. Less joints make for a much stronger wing.

3. The mesh of the wing doesn’t need to be so tight, you can increase the gaps inside the mesh thus reducing the weight of the wings by a lot. You can even justify using a single carbon rod through the entire wing this way, it will still be lighter and we won’t have to cut a perfectly good carbon rod, thus destroying it permanently.

4. The fuselage needs a lot of reinforcement. It breaks very easily between the layers, even with print temperature increased to 235 for extremely good bond. I’ve seen hollow models add a mesh along the inside surface similar to the one you used on the wings. It makes for a very rigid body with minimal added weight and you can still print it without supports. Just wrap your wing mesh structure around the inside of the fuselage. 1mm is plenty.

5. Open the front bay slightly more, just 1 or 2mm on each side to fit a 4s battery.

6. The tail boom uses a 10mm carbon rod which is not exactly common. Maybe use a 14mm one, which is often used as a multicopter boom and is very common? If you really want to reach a very broad customer base, even think about using a tapered fishing rod segment as a tail boom. They can be bought for a dollar or two into any fishing supply store, they are readily available always and anywhere and are of universal dimensions anywhere in the world.

Let me know what you think. Myself, I’ll probably be building foam wings by modifying wing part 1 to only have the base plate that screws into the fuselage and the wingtip. I’ll glue the foam wing to the base plate and then mount the wingtip on the other side of the foam wing. This way I can have any wingspan I see fit and still maintain the ability to disassemble the airplane for transport. The current wings are still too heavy for my taste. I know it’s going to fly, but what’s the point of having a glider that doesn’t also glide 🙂

minhzc
    minhzc

Hi Al,
    The reason is if I modify the wing span, I should modify the whole plane structure. That will not a modification anymore and it would take a lot of time, please understand.
    as I said, I will make a modification to make the aircraft lighter and printing faster.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will take them on the next improvement for this aircraft. That will be another version, not a modification.

Thank you and regards.

al1
    Participant

Interesting. A friend managed to stretch the wings to 1600mm total wingspan while reducing the part count to 4 and still kept it compatible with a common format prusa. Either way, such a modification is considered a completely new model unrelated to this one and will be sold separately, did I understand correctly?

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatar al1.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatar al1.
    minhzc
    minhzc

Hi Al,
    A new model should has different specification, and it should be a new design from A to Z on sketch. What we could reuse is knowledge. This is not a lego game that we can reuse any part for a bigger design. That is my point of engineering.
    By the way, the customer would like to buy something new, not a similar one, I know that and I dont waste time to do something uninnovative. That is my point of business.
    Regards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.