Mounting Turnigy Aerodrive 3542/1250 motor into QTrainer

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support RC equipment Mounting Turnigy Aerodrive 3542/1250 motor into QTrainer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I purchased a Turnigy Aerodrive 3542/1250 motor for my QTrainer which is the model motor recommended in the QTrainer PDF. It seems that the only way to mount a motor in the QTrainer is with the prop shaft facing forward and coming out the same side of the motor that has the four mounting holes. The bracket that comes with the motor would then be placed on the outside of part 9 and the four screws would go through the bracket, then through the front of part 9, and then be screwed into the screw holes on the motor. However on the Turnigy motor, the screw holes on the motor are not on the side where the prop shaft comes out. I know some motors allow you to loosen the set screw on the bushings that hold the shaft in place and then push the shaft through to come out the other side of the motor. However I am not sure whether this is possible with this motor. Help!

Participant

You are supposed to move the shaft, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=4jSix3rUI2E

Participant

Thanks for the link to the video on how to reverse the shaft, however to do this you need to remove the bushings on either end of the shaft. To do this you need to remove the small set screws in the bushings. This requires a small 1mm Philips screwdriver. Unfortunately the manufacturer tightened the screws so hard, you strip the screws before they become loose.

I finally found that there are two motors on the HobbyKing web site. They have the exact same name, kva, and model numbers although different SKU numbers (shame on HobbyKing). The specs for the two motors are nearly identical as is there appearance. One has the shaft coming out the front where there are no screw holes for mounting the motor (the one I got and has four mounting screw holes on the other end) and the other motor that has the shaft already reversed. Not only is it reversed, but it also now has four mounting holes on one end and three on the other. It also comes with not only the normal prop adapter but also has a second optional prop adapter that can be mounted on the other end. HobbyKing was nice enough to take back the first motor and send me the one I needed. Who could have figured……Larry

Participant

Larry,

Do you happen to have the part # of the correct one? I too have ran into this issue and can not locate the correct one on HK website.

Thanks in advance! – Chris

Participant

Yes the URL for the Turnigy Aerodrive 3542/1250 motor that allows you to mount it from either end without reversing the shaft has a sku number of sk3-3542-1250. It has a url of https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-3542-1250kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html?wrh_pdp=3
    It is currently in stock at the global warehouse. I had trouble printing the front piece of the fuselage and the screw holes in the filament did not turn out well. I useded the small black “X” mount that came with the motor. I put the screws through the holes in the “X” and then through the front of the fuselage. I put the motor inside the fuselage and screwed the screws into the front of the motor. I did not have to reverse the shaft. I had a supply of small screws in various sizes and lengths and chose a screw length that went into the motor but not so far that it would hit the motor windings. If you use the “X” you may want to cut down the four ends slightly to get it to fit more tightly to the front of the fuselage. Thread locker might help on the screws too. Lots of luck.

Participant

Thank you Larry!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.