My Stearman – WIP

Home Forum Your planes Stearman PT-17 Kaydet My Stearman – WIP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I see there’s no stearman thread yet. This is ofcourse wrong. So to counter this, although it’s not ready, I’ll post what I have 🙂

Right now I have everything printed, but the wings/ailerons.

On printing.. the fuse didn’t give me too much issues, the only thing I reprinted was the tailsection, as the last part of this is very small and even though I only print at 205 degrees (which is hot for this filament), it’s still to fast/hot for that last part, making a mess of it:

Lower speed setting just for this part, it’s stil flawed, but this I can live with:

The entire fuse (unglued on this image):

Some details

Ofcourse, ninjaflex tires. I would have used black if I had it, but I had this blue already lying around and not going to buy black just for 3 marginal tires. In real live, the blue tires suit it. These were printed at 30mm/s, as ninjaflex does not like speed.

The gear with the PLA spring. Although it does work, it’s pretty useless as it’s way to stiff. If you get that spring to compress during landings, your plane will break 😛

The entire fuse built together. I used a simple edding red marker to make the rudder red/white, it was printed with white PLA. Although it looks somewhat sloppy, I have purposly laid a baid of glue on the stab where it joins the fuse. Overall this construction appears to be weak. I would really like if 3dlabprint would incorporate the option of making the use of carbon joiners possible.

The fuse and all the parts so far have given me no problem for printing, other than having to make speed profiles. Most of what you see here, is printed with 100mm/s, lower speeds for instance for steep incline sections which I wanted to print without support:

The engine however, did give me issues. It’s way too complex and to detailed, and not designed to be printed. Although the end result is quite reasonable, the design is simply unprintable correctly. This was printed with only the support as in the factory file, but especially on the top of an engine head, this means your printer has to do impossible things. Overall it looks nice, but for something which has to be printed, the design is quite poor.

Also I don’t like the way the gear/wing is connected. Although It’ll probably hold, it’s again bad design as basically all which is keeping the wing and gear attached to the fuse, is the glue one glues the nuts in with. I would have preferred to see the bolts pass through a smaller 3mm hole in the fuse first, to then be fastened with a bolt. Also it would have been nicer not to use very specific nuts, but just to make a pocket which fits a standard M3 nut. This goes for the gear as for the engine.

I cannot seem to use the factory files themselves, for some reason my printer chokes on it and also parts come out with wrong sizes. I haven’t yet been able to determine why. Also it does not really matter, as I don’t really like the factory files. Especially where it comes to seams, I like to make profiles for every part on a plate, thus being able to exactly determine where the seam will be for that part. Resulting in a seamless fuse. Somehow it extrudes way to much and stutters while doing this.

Now I use 3mm filament instead of 1,85, however, simply adjusting this in the factory files, does not fix the issue.

Reading the above one might think I’m not a satisfied customer, however this is not the case. It’s more ‘if I had to come up with some critisism, then..’. Overall it prints well and goes together pretty easy. And, once together, it looks cool!

Ofcourse I’ll update later on with pictures of the completed plane, and, if possible, a flight video.

// offtopic personal remark:
    For the person who’s stealing my images to pretend to be me on another forum: please stop this. The pictures in this thread are watermarked and also I have pressed charges against whomever you may be. Also note that the management of said forum, is also informed.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by AvatarHenri.
    Participant

Awesome to see someone printing this and showing it off. This is going to be my winter project. Just got my printer and working my way through the learning curve. Plan to enter this into my Flying clubs scratch built contest in the spring. We have a level for kits, ARF’s and scratch built. Not sure where this will fit but its worth a go.

Participant

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by AvatarHenri.
    Participant

This is the current state. The links to the rudder and elevator are already present, but other than that it’s empty. Now to mount motor, servo’s and so forth.

The grey motorpart is ony held on by one screw on this photo, ofcourse I will make sure that when mounting it, the exhaust is at the right place.

Participant

Here is my attempt at the stearman and a video of its second flight. It needed the motor brought forward by 10mm to get the balance close (Thingiverse file 3DLabPrint Stearman PT17 Motor Shims), no complaints about how she flew Youtube https://youtu.be/_JiAsbjVUtg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Do you know the weight? Mine, just all printed parts, hinges, and steering rods, weighs 1450 grams now. I’m using KST servo’s, a Hacker motor, a Castle Creations ESC and turnigy graphene lipo’s. I plan to balance it by using more heavy batteries. Also removing the heavy tealwheel might be an option.

If that doesn’t work, I’m going to make the tailsection pull/pull, remove the inner tube and combine parts, as my printer has a 30cm buildheight and so I can save some weight in the tail by combining pieces (and getting rid of tabs and double perimiters).

Also, I printed the gray motormount at 100% infill.

Participant

Well, it was time to took her to the field. Although there was some bad luck, overall I’m more than satisfied.

This is it’s second flight, in which the bad luck will reveal itself. The engine (I ended up using the suggested TGY eco setup) turned out to be typical ‘turnigy quality’, it pulled out the axle mid flight, destroying a bearing, giving me a deadstick. I didn’t notice it at first. In the end the damage was totally uneccesary, but not dramatic. The upper and lower wing both broke very cleanly and are glued already again, without it being visible.

It’s somewhat tail heavy and needs some mixers to completely do things like knife-edge straight, but overall, it’s a funn flyer! With the eco setup and 3000mAh 65C Graphene lipo’s (the 65 isn’t needed, but it’s what I had) it has more then enough power for sports flying. Only if you want unlimited vertical, you’d need more, but it flies like a well powered plane. As you can shortly in the vid, it’ll do a sustained knife-edge, if I recall right it pulls to the belly then, which would also indicate an aft CG.

I think I can fly a decent pattern program including slow-rolls and 4 point rolls and so on with it, as soon as I get the CG right and get more used to it. It should also do rolling circles/loops just fune.

Currently it’s the stock printed plane, I printed the motormount with 100% infill, the rest as per manual. Further setup:

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/turnigy-d3542-5-1250kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html
    https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/graphene-3000mah-3s-65c-w-xt90.html
    4x https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/hextronik-mg-14-14g-2-6kg-0-11sec-digital-aircraft-servo.html
    https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/orangerx-ga800hv-futaba-fasst-compatible-8ch-2-4ghz-receiver.html
    http://extremeflightrc.com/Extreme-Flight-RC-Airboss-45A-Elite-ESC_p_1706.html

The servo’s are a nice discovery, relatively they cost next to nothing, and they perform fine.

Flyingwise I want the CG slightly more forward, and it needs slightly more downthrust. Also I haven’t looked at aileron differential etc at all.

All up flying weight came out on 2249 grams. I did put some weight in the nose, but will have to do some work to maike the tail lighter. I’ll probably ditch the tail wheel (which is prone to breakeage anyway) and replace it with a skid.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by AvatarHenri.
    Participant

Lots of usful info. Thanks. I just finished upgrading my printer and will be starting to print this soon.

Participant

Hi Henri,

imprerssive what you were doing and posting. As I am also currently working on the print of the Stearman, I would like to ask you if you can share the data for your wheel rims? I printed the original ones yesterday, but I am afraid they won’t survive the first landing. Do you have a link to the wheel rims you are using or can you share the STLs please?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.