Plane model and the sun….

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support Assembly, finishing Plane model and the sun….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

is there someone with experience with flying an PLA model in summer? I did a test with a bad printed part of the corsair, it is black PLA, I let it some time in the sun. Now it is deformed. I think it is very critical to go flying with this PLA models in summer. Even not flying itself is the problem, to protect them on the ground is quiet tricky.
    What is your experience?

Thanks
    Regards,
    Gerd

Petr ŠťásekPetr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Hi Gerd,

The color makes huge difference. Black is the worst color for plane ever.

If you look to the plane in my profile photo, even on direct sunlight the orange parts are still cool, while the black canopy is very soft and near the 60°C. The silver parts are also accumulating heat from sunlight quite a lot.

In general use light colors, could be semi-transparent. Dark colors are very hard to figure out the attitude of the plane as it appears only as the silhouette against the bright sky.

Participant

Yes, black is in fact in this case the worst color, but it looks so cool. I thought so, but I was not sure if other colors are so much better, I thought in the end it is not possible to go with this planes to an airfield in the summer with 30-35 degrees nevertheless what color I use.
    I will finishing the black corsair, so it is a plane for cloudy days. For the next one I will use a light color.

Thank you
    Best regards,
    Gerd

Participant

I print mine in black but only because they will get painted. I find black makes the best color to paint over.

Petr ŠťásekPetr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Actually you can Gert, I did fly on 30°C days, just keep the plane in shade when not flying. But it has to be the light color. I’m pretty close to finishing my Dusty, so I’ll report back how the orange vs white stands.

Unfortunately there are not many liveries in lighter colours for Corsair, so if you want to keep it scale, you’ll have to watch out for the sun.

Not sure how the painted black works in the sun, but I understand it’s the best in terms of transparency.

Participant

Noone found a filament to replace PLA yet?

I tried PETG, my P-38 is all printed and I am sure it will fly but I allready had to add a carbon spar to the tail and elevator because it is flexing way too bad. It might not melt but PETG is a compromise. Is there nothing stiff but singlewall print capable yet?

Petr ŠťásekPetr Šťásek
    Keymaster

I’ve got a spool of Pro3D H-PLA to test as it’s promising the 100°C glass transition temperature without annealing. Time will tell if this is reality, or just some marketing mumbo jumbo. I’ll post the results once I have it tested.

So far it seems the PLA is still the best material for this even with it’s downsides.

Participant

Yes please report back. If it is not just marketing speech 100 degrees would be spectacular. Even if it would be 70 or 80 it would work.

PETG works but it is not the way to go either because you have to fight it’s flex with these planes. Wings seem to be pretty fine because of all the stiffening parts. The problem starts when you have bigger singlewall areas. My easymax PETG failed mid air two days ago. The wing is stiff and was not an issue at all. It is the fuselag that broke because it is singlewall where all the forces from the tail go (the part where the carbon tube goes to). With the P-38 the elevator area is wobbly. I think I can make it work but having a PLA that wont melt at the sight of sun would be much preferable.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Avatarthoemse.
    apocalypsedudeapocalypsedude
    Participant

As said before, flying is not the problem, but there may be one, if the planes stand on the ground in direct sunlight for a while.
    On the sunny, hot days I make a “tent” for my planes. It’s just a canvas spanned from the open trunk door of my car to the ground.
    It’s easy to do and the planes have a shady place. I didn’t have problems so far using this method.

Participant

Yeah I don’t see a big problem there. My issue is that I fly in midday breaks. This means the plan sits in the trunk of my car all day. On a summer day that would melt a PLA plane for sure.

Participant

I live in Arizona USA. Think of John Wayne and western movies…

Even foam planes are a problem here due to heat and sun.
    Flying is not a problem, just sitting INCLUDING parking for lunch in the sun with planes in car or truck.
    I plan to treat my 3D printed planes the same as my expensive foam planes.

Rick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.