Removable wing and a few modifications of EasyMax by OK-RiMr

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support Customizations Removable wing and a few modifications of EasyMax by OK-RiMr

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar sebastian.popp 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Petr Šťásek
    Petr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Richard Mrázek a.k.a OK-RiMr http://www.ok-rimr.com/ made a few useful modifications of EasyMax glider.

He reinforced the central wing section and the fuselage part where the wing is originally glued together and added mounting points so nylon screws can be used to fit the wing and disassemble the plane for transportation.

Also there’s a new nose part preventing breaking the nose during landing.

His modification is shown on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq8hVBs0xE

S3D factory files and STL could be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_ccLOWPV6pRU1YaWlNWUd4ZDA/view

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Martin Benda
    Participant

Please could you place here STL files for removable wing mod?
    Thanks

Petr Šťásek
    Petr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Actually I can’t as this is not my work. See the google drive link as all the needed files are there.

ross
    Participant

I have successfully printed Richard’s removable wing and the nose section modifications but have not been able to produce the print files for the fuselage sections.

I am using Simplify3D ver 4.0.1 and each time I try to make the print file Simplify3D crashes.

I know the extension of the reinforced screw adaptor is below the print bed and by printing from bed level ‘zero’ up should technically ignore anything below the bed.

I have not had any such issues with making print files from other factory files.

Any ideas rom anyone about what might cause this crashing and if there is a fix?

Petr Šťásek
    Petr Šťásek
    Keymaster

There are some reports with crashing of 4.0.1 with the Stearman files as well. 4.0.0 works fine though.

ross
    Participant

Thank you Petr,

I have reinstalled Simplify3D ver 4.0.0 and the crashing problem has not re-occurred.

thoemse
    Participant

I am just printing an easymax with these modifications. I am almost finished (fuselage and Tail are ready including electronics – printing the wing right now.
    What I don’t get is how this is supposed to be screwed together with nylon screws. There is no counter nut or a way to place one. Simply screwing a nylon nut into the hull doesn’t inspire me with much confidence. Anyone can help me here and suggest how to do it right. I saw the video of the designer of this mod but I don’t get how this is supposed to hold.

sebastian.popp
    Participant

Carefuly (hand) drill the fuselage mount points to 4.2mm, then cut a M5 thread. You can believe me, this joint is indestructible! In fact I think two M5 is way too much, as the wing never seperated from the fuselage even during a realy ugly crash due to receiver problems.

The weak points of the easymax is it’s tail fin and the fuselage itself as the two points which will be on the floor is the fin and the very tip of the fuselage. In the middle between we have the heavy wing and all the stresses during lading are trying to break the section where the receiver is installed. I’m using my first wing, but it survived 2 fuselages and many fuselages repairs on each of the two. A kingdom for a fuselage whith it’s highest diameter under the wing and a “thin” nose..

thoemse
    Participant

Thanks a lot. I will do that.
    The tail fin is really filigrane indeed. Maybe I reinforce it with a bit of epoxy.
    For the belly I might use glass fibre supported tape I use for pretty much anything. That or also a fine layer of epoxy. It’s all weight in the end but if it doesn’t survive a landing its not very useful either.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Avatar thoemse.
    thoemse
    Participant

I finished assembling the wing and cut a M4 thread. I went for M4 because that fits right into the openings of Richards design. I also wanted to leave myself the option to go M5 if I mess it up.

The M4 nylon screws give me a lot of confidence. I am positive that it holds. Now I hope that the glue joints hold in flight. I printed it in PETG. I made good experience with it before but the wingspan is quite big and the glue joints rather small.
    I’ll report back how it went.

The design addition of Richard is fantastic either way.

mi_go
    Participant

I love the wing mod as well. Not sure how the nose mode is supposed to go on, do I cut off part of the fuselage?

sebastian.popp
    Participant

For the nose part, I used the original nose but cut it in length so it fits the Turnigy motor and added the additional perimeters as recommended in the mod. Never broke on mine, even on a 45° crash out of maybe 5m height due to a receiver problem.

thoemse, Please report how your M4 screws are doing when you have some flights on them. Would be especialy nice to know if they break before the whole fuselage turns to dust – which is the problem with the M5.

thoemse
    Participant

One just should’t use PETG on these planes. :p
    My easymax desintegrated midair with the motor section accelerationg away without the rest of the plane. 😀
    That being said the screws were still holding the wing when I picked up tjhe pieces. M4 silicone screws are perfectly fine.

sebastian.popp
    Participant

That being said the screws were still holding the wing when I picked up tjhe pieces. M4 silicone screws are perfectly fine.

There is at least always something positive to learn out of every catastrophic event 😀
    Not that I want to build a PETG plane, but out of curiosity: Can you tell if the glue joint broke or the printed parts itself?

john8
    Participant

Has this mod be removed?? I have downloaded the file but there seems to be no modded wings or fuse, just a nose section.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.