Simplify3d settings

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support Printing planes Simplify3d settings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I decided to give Simplify3d a try and so far my test is a lot better than what I had with Cura. I am finally able to print multiple pieces at a time with very little stringing. I won’t be able to tell how strong the parts are yet because I am testing with what is left of a PLA roll that has gotten brittle. Right now I am printing using the supplied factory file for the back half of the fuselage. I noticed about the first 3mm or so seems to be a bit thicker than the rest of the print (see attached pic). Is this a normal setting for the factory file or do I need to tweak something?

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Stepan DokoupilStepan Dokoupil
    Keymaster

Hello, yes this is OK, look there are two profiles one thicker with two perimeters for firts mm of print and thank the second one thin with only one perimeter. From the Picture it look like you have some filament nozzle leaks (when move from one to next part) thes depends on your printer, please try increase a bit retraction distance (in both profiles)

Participant

OK cool…I wasn’t sure on that because with my Cura prints it did not do this. I am getting some stringing but it is far far less than what I was getting with Cura. However I am now getting nozzle clogs that I never got before. I suspect it may have to do with the temp. Sometimes I think the heat brake doesn’t get enough cooling. I lowered the temp down to 210 and the stringing is almost completely gone now. It is amazing how much better the prints are coming out with Simplfy3d compared to Cura. I can’t wait for my new roll of PLA and PETG to come in so I can start printing again.

Participant

Lowering the temp to 210 pretty much perfected my print. The difference between Cura and Simplify3d is night and day! With Cura I kept getting holes in the tail section. With Simplify3d the print is pretty much perfect. First pic, tail from Cura. Second pic, tail from Simplify3d.

Well it looks like pic uploading isn’t working right now so I’ll have to upload them later.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by AvatarBurton Hooker.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by AvatarBurton Hooker.
    Petr ŠťásekPetr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Hi Burton, try to not lower the temperature. Try to avoid the oozing with retraction settings instead, or your parts will be too brittle.

Participant

Hi In simplyify3D your factory files when loaded have 2 processes, which should i use or should i use both.

Petr ŠťásekPetr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Hi David,

The first process ends up in height of first few milimeters, then the other continues from this height. Yes, use both the processes. This is the main advantage of Simplify3D above the other free slicers.

Participant

What settings changes should I make to print in PETG? I assume extruder and heat bed temps will need to increase but by how much? Will any of the other settings need to change or should they still be good? I have 1 roll of PETG to try next.

Also I guess I need the same for PLA+ as I have 2 rolls of esun PLA+ ordered and should arrive next week.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by AvatarBurton Hooker.
    Participant

Well now that the last plane has crashed it is time to try printing in PETG…wish me luck!!!

Petr ŠťásekPetr Šťásek
    Keymaster

Hi Burton,

PETG tends to ooze a bit more than PLA, so you’ll have to find the best ratio between layer adhesion / stringing for hotend temperature. Probably you’ll need to adjust retraction as well and bridging capabilities of PETG are a bit worse too.
    PETG is more flexible than PLA. That’s good in terms of impact resistivity, but bad for stiffnes of the airframe. Also it’s a bit more heat resistant

Wish you luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.