Under extrusion problem ?

Home Forum Printing and Tech. Support Under extrusion problem ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daniel

I just printed the wing test file, and the first Layers (first 10 or 15cm in height) was OK, I would say perfect, but Next Layers got gaps and holes, just in the leading Edge area.

I tried increase temperature, the flow rate from 100 to 120, slow the speed to 85% on the midle of impression, but I see no improvement.

I can’t attach pictures here.

Regards,

Daniel

daniel1
    Participant

Pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Stepan Dokoupil
    Keymaster

Hello and thanks for interest, please let Us know some information, you print from our prepared Gcode or you generated own with some slicer? Which printer? Temperatures?
    From this photos it looks to me like your Extruder/HotEnd/Nozzle issue… did the HotEnd cooling fan run all the time of print?

daniel1
    Participant

Hi,
    ANET A8, with E3d V6 head extruder.
    PLA, 230° . I’m generating the gcode via Simplify 3D, configured with your vídeo instructions.

I have a clue for the problem, My spool is not smooth and maybe the extruder is fighting with spool.
    My spool is located on left side of printer, and the under extrusion is on right side of the object.

What you think?

Thanks um advance

Stepan Dokoupil
    Keymaster

Yes it could be the reason… A8 with E3D already worked with our gcodes…
    Maybe you could try our prepared gcode directly, is included in newer test parts f.e. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1810679

Daniel

Hi Stepan,

I did not use your gcode because I want resize the model. My intention is buy the Easymax 001 and resize the wing. I want a wingspan of 2000mm, and some more wing chord.
    If I buy the model and resize the wing, can you help preparing the gcode after I resize it? Or can I buy the model ready with the dimensions that I need?

I’ll make atention for the spool issue and try again, this time with gcode that you linked above.
    Regards,

Daniel

Sean
    Participant

I had a problem with under-extrusion for a while that was related to a number of things. Took me a while to tweak them out (nearly 2-1/2 weeks on-and-off to tune my printer to it), but I finally got it. I’ll list them for you, so maybe it helps you out.

Layer height: Like it is noted in some cases, going from .25 to .2 layer height helps sometimes. Made mine a lot smoother.
    Slicer software: I finally ended up using Cura 2.3 over MatterControl, as MatterControl would constantly under-extrude at the start point of a layer nearly every time.
    Retraction Speed: I was throttled at 25mm/sec speed in my firmware for my retraction ( I needed faster due to a Bowden setup with a lengthy tube). Altering that to a higher number (45-50mm/sec) fixed the speed and produced smoother results.
    Adjusting nozzle diameter: The nozzle I had on-hand, despite being marked as such, was not a true 0.4mm nozzle. It was closer to 0.45. I tweaked that and it gave a little better flow as well as some more solid results.
    Lubrication: Even after tweaking all of the above, I was still having issues with it occasionally skipping a layer. I fixed this by adding a filter to my spool feed prior to it entering the extruder. This filter had a sponge with high-temp gear oil, which made the interaction with the Bowden tube/hot-end much smoother.

The 230 degree temperature for your PLA seems abnormally high. IIRC, 230 is close to PLA nozzle-clearing temp. Could be wrong though. I’m only printing at 205-210. Have you tried bumping the temp down at all?

daniel1
    Participant

Hi Sean,

Thank you for all advices. The manafacturer of this PLA says to print with 220 degrees, and I don’t have problems with smaller prints. So, I tried to raise a little the temperature for this test file.

The main issue is the filament spool, tried to print again today and the issues started when the filament was stucked on spool (is not properly winded).

The Filament is BQ branded, and I start to guess that the poor quality of the spool winding is the cause to my random under extrusion problems.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sean
    Participant

Ah. I spy what looks like an e3d or a clone. I’m presuming a bowden setup? Either way, a poorly-wound spool can cause feed issues, but it definitely looks more noticeable on a bowden setup.

daniel1
    Participant

Yes, its a e3d clone but not a Bowden, its direct drive.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:446167

Sean
    Participant

Yikes! That much under-extrusion? If it is the roll, it must be wound pretty badly. Is there a lot of crossing over and binding?

daniel1
    Participant

I think that was my fault on the roll. Now I re-winded manually many meters of filament, tomorrow I’ll make a new test… Fingers crossed, and no filament crossed now, I hope… 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.