Wing parts seem tolo large to print on 3D printer

Home Forum 3DLabGANG projects Kaier Falcon Wing parts seem tolo large to print on 3D printer

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Jean-Marc Vaille 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    David Russell
    Participant

Hi,
    I have recently purchased the Falcon and successfully printed the fuselage. However, the wing parts, seem too large to print on my Prusa i3 with a bed of 200 x 200 x 190mm…
    Any thoughts…?
    Kind Regards, Dave

minhzc
    minhzc

Dear David,
    The print height dimension must be at least 250mm.
    In your case the printing height is 190mm? If yes, please confirm and I will make a modification for you.

Regards.

David Russell
    Participant

Hi,
    I can confirm my print height is 190mm….

If you can make that modification I would be most grateful…

Kind Regards,
    Dave

minhzc
    minhzc

Please download the modification here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1smIS6mSYt5k8iYg06uU6Sz-c0TSI7QKF
    I separated the parts which are higher than 190mm into 2: wing_part_5 and wing_aileron
    Try to print them and then use glue or lighter to combine.
    Please make sure the length of the combinations are not changed too much.

Regards.

Jean Segers
    Participant

Dear Minhzc,

I also have bought the Falcon to be printed with my Malyan M150 from HobbyKing. M150 meant the maximum 150 mm height for a safe print.
    3DLabPrint limits the max height of their parts to +/- 150 mm with good reasons 😉

If you are to publish new STL’s, may I hardly suggest you to follow 3DLabPrint good habit: stay at 150 mm height, or very very near (<155 mm).

For myself, I don’t care as I also own a Tronxy X5S able to print up to 330x330x400 mm ;9
    But this one use more energy to heat the bed… less efficient for smaller prints 🙁

minhzc
    minhzc

Hi Jean, thank you for your suggestion.
    I will keep it in mind for the next project.

Regards.

Jean Segers
    Participant

@david,

Playing a little with Simplify3D, I found that you can easy print wing_part_5 by rotating it X=180° and Z=45° , so it will print in the diagonal 😉

You will be more in trouble with the Wing_aileron (part 10) as if you can rotate it, there will remain to less surface contact with the bed for a good adhesion 🙁
    This part 10 really needs to be sliced!

@minhzc,

I can’t see the good reason to slice the first wing parts into part 5, 6 and 9.
    One better solution has been to fuse part 5 and lower part of 9, then part 6 with upper part of 9. That also means less bolt/nut and of course…. grams and money 😛

David Russell
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks very much for your quick solution to this problem…

Really appreciated….

Cheers,
    Dave

minhzc
    minhzc

No problem David, please ask if you need something else.

@Jean: the fact that my printer bed size is not large enough then I have to slice that way. I have a bigger one now 😉

Jean Segers
    Participant

I understand now…. that you was using a delta kossel: small feet, long legs 😀

minhzc
    minhzc

Haha yes, you are really a 3D printing expert.
    By the way, as you said some wing parts can be rotated 90 degree to print. That probably strengthens the wing, so please have a try.
    Thank you for buying my project.

Jean-Marc Vaille
    Participant

Hello Minhzc,
    I also have a size problem with the Wing-ailerons(211.8mm)
    I print on a Prusa and the maximum height is 200 mm.
    Thank you for your help.
    Regards,
    Jean-Marc

minhzc
    minhzc

@Jean dear, please try to use the modification I gave to David above. Hope your problem will be solved.

Regards.

Jean-Marc Vaille
    Participant

I will try this, thank you for this quick answer …..
    Regards,
    Jean-Marc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.