Forum Replies Created
Well I finally got around to testing the idea. I made a small insulated bag using Reflectix roofing insulation. I placed a wing part in the bag, taped it shut with duct tape, and put it in the back seat of my car where the sun beats directly down on the bag. I left it in the car for an hour from 11:30 to 12:30 then checked on it. The heat and sunlight had weakened the duct tape adhesive but the part was intact with only a very minor wing sag in the skin. I believe this is mostly due to the flap loosening up and letting some heat in. I re-taped it shut and this time put it back in the car with the flap facing down for 2 more hours. No further warping occurred. Considering I really only need it to protect the planes for about 10 to 20 minutes I think this will resolve my warping issues without having to resort to a different filament! Time to make some full sized bags for the wings and fuselages of the planes I currently have printed. I will continue to try new materials but now it isn’t so urgent to find a solution.
All my latest planes have been PLA+. It is a little more durable than PLA. Plenty durable for flying and landing…but if you crash, mid-air collide, or land very hard you are going to break something. I mainly use it for the increased heat resistance. In that respect it is better than regular PLA but in a hot car it will still warp. I had 2 planes in the back of my car that I left in just a tad too long. One was PLA the other PLA+. Both planes warped and were unflyable, but the PLA+ plane did not warp as badly as the PLA plane. People are trying different materials now to find something better but most have proven too difficult to print with. ABS warps too much unless you use a heated enclosure. ABS+ I haven’t been able to get good enough layer adhesion yet to make it work properly. ASA looks like it has some promise but not enough testing has been done with it yet.
Now that links appear to be working again: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32923329749.html?spm=a2g0s.9042322.214.171.124cb4c4d15XFkf
I finally found a good replacement motor for the AX-4008Q/620KV…The DYS BE4215/650KV! The power specs are all quite close to the old AX motor and it spins a 9×7.5 prop just fine. I’ve put one in my P-51 and it flies the same as it did with the AX motor in it. The only downside is the motor shaft isn’t long enough and the bolt on threaded shaft is too thick for my spinners. So I took a longer shaft out of another motor and replaced the shorter one in the DYS. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32923329749.html?spm=a2g0s.90423126.96.36.199cb4c4d15XFkf
I was finally able to test out the DYS motor last weekend in my P-51. I’m happy to say this is a great motor! I now have one in the F-4U and hopefully will be testing that plane out this weekend. As for the P-51 it flew almost exactly the same as it did with the AX motor that is recommended by 3DLabPrint. It’s a great motor.
Increasing the thickness is going to increase the weight. If you are already 10% over weight it will get worse. However…the weights given are a guideline. Different filaments will come out different weights even when printed the same so I wouldn’t worry about it. So long as you balance the plane properly and have enough power it will fly just fine.
The motor is the DYS BE4215 650Kv
I think I found a better motor…I have a couple on order and am waiting for them to arrive. But the stats on it are a lot closer to the original AX motor that 3dLabPrint reccomends:
Arg…forums are acting up again…
Is this working now?
Been having problems posting to the forum lately so some of my updates haven’t been posted. As it turns out I figured out how to fix the issue…the 9×7.5 and 9.6 props I had been trying are too much for the motor to turn. 9×6 was pulling 29 amps and it looks like the motor specs out at about 22 amps. I tried the recommended 9.5 prop and that too is too much for the motor. I ended up with a 9×4.5 prop with the startup speed on the ESC set to “plane middle”. I haven’t yet had a chance to fly the plane so I don’t know if it is going to be able to keep up with the nitro planes with that much smaller of a prop. At any rate I’ve come to the conclusion that the Racerstar 3508 700kv motor is just a crappy motor. I have found what too me looks like a motor as good as the 3dLabPrint recommended AX-4008-620KV motor but unfortunately it is nearly twice the cost…I think I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and start buying more expensive motors 🙁
Well the motor specs say it is rated for up to a 15×5 prop…but I can only guess that the specs are written for a multi-rotor copter which has 3 or more additional motors also providing lift and thrust for the vehicle. Because it can’t even turn a 9×6 prop. I dropped down to a 9×4.5 and changed the startup speed to medium and now the motor can throttle up properly…I just hope it will be as fast at 700kv with a 9×4.5 prop as my old 620kv motor was with a 9×7.5 prop.
That is a 9×6 prop. I have not measured the RPM.
Here is the issue I am having:
Well it wasn’t the amps the motor was pulling that is the problem…I bought an 80 amp ESC and tried that and still have the same problem with the motor stalling out and squealing at 90% throttle. We tested the amp draw and found out it is only pulling 29 amps. I’ve tried all the suggestions I could find for troubleshooting my ESCs and nothing has worked. Both of the Racestar motors I bought are having the same problem…I’m starting to think the motors themselves are just no good.